Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service struggled to extinguish flames that engulfed a pile of hog fuel after it spontaneously combusted at a farm on Thursday.
Fire crews were called out to 140 Mount Lehman Road to find a deep-seated fire in the 10-metre high mound of bark chips and wood fibre just prior to 10 p.m.
The fire was difficult to douse and took firefighters close to five hours to get under control, said assistant fire chief Dave Rivett in a press release.
As the blaze took place in a rural area with no fire hydrants, fire crews had to use tanker trucks to shuttle water from a source near the Abbotsford International Airport.
Twenty firefighters, two fire engines and four tanker trucks were called out to deal with the blaze.
No one was injured and no buildings on the property were damaged.