Abbotsford firefighters contained a kitchen fire in the Huron Court apartment building on Wednesday night.
Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service was called out to the building at 31790 Union Ave. at 6: 13 p.m.
The building manager discovered smoke and flames after entering a first-floor suite to investigate a fire alarm.
He activated the building's fire alarm system to evacuate the building and notify the fire department.
Crews arrived to see tenants leaving the building, and then found smoke in the halls.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the small fire they found in a garbage can located under the kitchen sink.
Fire investigators believe the fire started after smoking materials were discarded in the garbage can.
Damage was limited to the apartment's kitchen area and is estimated to be $2,500.
The occupants of the suite weren't home at the time of the fire and returned to the building to find firefighters on scene.
AFRS reminds smokers to dispose of cigarettes and smoking materials in non-combustible containers.