An Abbotsford teenage girl's clothes were scorched when she was attacked with fireworks on Halloween.
Abbotsford Fire Rescue, police and paramedics were called out after a 15-year-old girl was targeted by other youths, said Deputy Chief Mike Helmer, of Abbotsford Fire Rescue Service.
Luckily the teen didn't suffer serious injury and police are investigating the incident, said Helmer.
"There's an extreme risk with shooting fireworks at people," he said.
"We've had instances of fireworks being trapped under clothing causing significant burns. She could have had life changing injuries."
The incident highlights emergency responders' concerns about the misuse of fireworks, firecrackers and similar explosive devices traditionally used during holidays like Halloween or Diwali, said Helmer.
Studies indicate the risk of injury from fireworks is greatest for children aged five to nine or teens aged 15 to 19 years old, according to AFRS.
Though Halloween is over, AFRS, police and bylaw officers will continue cracking down on people using illegal fireworks during Diwali.
The sale, possession and use of fireworks is banned in Abbotsford, unless an individual has a permit and is certified in pyrotechnics.
This Halloween, fire and bylaw officers confiscated around 50 pounds of fireworks, said Helmer.
Those who violate the ban and sell fireworks can be fined $500, or $200 for possessing or setting off the devices.